Tiller Money Instructions
Why do we use Tiller?
- With Tiller, we are able to have a firm grasp of your income, spending, and the resulting savings rate
- We need to figure out if that savings rate is sufficient to achieve your retirement goals
- It also serves as a tool to track spending and to optimize your budget
Instructions look pretty long but it shouldn’t take more than 15-20 min.
- Sign up or log in at https://tillerhq.com
- Start your free trial by entering a payment method in the Subscription area.
- Open the Account Summary by clicking it (if it’s not automatically opened)
- Click Add Accounts
- Search for your bank or institution and enter your login details.
- At least add the banks and credit cards so we can get an accurate view of the income/spending
- Bonus: Add the investment accounts also.
- Once you’ve connected those accounts – Click on the Account Summary.
- Click the edit icon next to any account name.
- Edit the account name.
- Press enter to save your changes.
- Click here to open the Tiller Foundation template
- Click “Use template” in the upper right. This will create a copy of the sheet in your Google Drive.
- Give this sheet a unique name (e.g. “[Your First and Last Name] Budget“). Edit the name in the upper left of the Google Sheet.
- Click “Add to Sheets” in the sidebar on the right hand side. If this doesn’t automatically appear for you, open the Add-ons menu at the top of the Google Sheet and choose Tiller Money Feeds > Install OR Start. You may have already installed the add-on, in which case the sidebar with “Add to sheets” will not appear.
- Authorize the add-on to run using the gmail you use for Tiller if you haven’t already.
- Click “Use” in the sidebar to launch the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.
- Sign in to the Tiller Feeds add-on using your Tiller subscribed gmail account.
- Click “Link sheet” to link the sheet to your Tiller Console.
- Choose which accounts should feed this sheet by placing a check mark next to them and then choose to Confirm the account links.
- The Feeds add-on should start updating your sheet with the latest transactions and current balances for any accounts you linked to this sheet.
D. Fix the data feed – make it daily (see instructions)
Super important – make sure you turn on the auto-update (on) – see below the upper-right portion of the image
E. Finally, share this google sheet with [email protected] – same way you share any google sheet.